Health Information Management
Nursing | Clinical Lab Sciences | Health Information Management | Respiratory Care | Physician Assistant
Physical Therapy | Occupational Therapy | Medicine | Dentistry | Optometry | Veterinary | Pharmacy
Thinking About Health Information Management?
Careers in Health Information Management can be found at the intersection of medicine, science, business and information technology. HIM graduates work with cutting-edge technology; manage people, processes and systems; massage big data to find health care solutions; and serve as educators and advocates throughout the industry. Ultimately, they are gatekeepers who keep our medical information safe, complete and accurate.
Definition from the KUMC HIM homepage.
- Careers & KU Majors: Health Information Management
- Explore Healthcare Careers: HIM
- American Health Information Management Association
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- All Allied Health Schools
- Healthcare Management: Degree Guide
- Healthcare Pathway
- University of Wisconsin: Health Information Management Careers Outlook, Job titles and salaries
Health Information Management at a Glance
Track or Major?
Health Information Management is a major that you complete by taking 2 years of pre-admission classes required for application to the Health Information Management program, and then once admitted you complete the final 2+ years of your degree at the KU Medical Center Campus.
- hours required: 60 hours to apply, (including 39 required pre-HIM hours), 61 program hours
- time to complete: 4 years
Level of degree - Bachelor of Science
- Minor available - Health Care Management
- Minor in Business can also be completed while completing the Bachelor's Degree
Does KU have a program?
Yes. Students spend their first 2 years on the Lawrence campus completing their pre-admission courses. Once admitted to the KU School of Nursing, the remaining 2 years are spent on the Medical Center campus in Kansas City.
View KU's prerequisite list for PreHealth Information Management students. Prerequisite list updated! Changes have been made for students starting the program in Fall 2022.
Quick Tip: If you have specific questions related to courses, contact your academic advisor.
GPA applicatoin requirement: 2.5
Competitive GPA accepted: 3.0+
Special KU application information
- Strong application characteristics - healthcare experience
- The GPA you apply with is often your transfer credit + your first year of KU courses. Keep this in mind.
- Two references are required. Once must be from an instructor and one must be from a manager or supervisor.
- Resume is required. Schedule an appointment with the University Career Center.
- All individuals admitted to the program will be asked to verify that they can meet the technical standards with or without accommodation(s). Applicants who disclose a disability are considered for admission if they are otherwise qualified.
Quick Tip: If you need assistance with your application resume and/or personal statement, schedule an appointment at the KU Writing Center and/or University Career Center!
Gain Experience Before You Apply!
Strong applicants have healthcare and non-healthcare experience through jobs, internships, volunteer experiences, shadowing, student organizations, and more. These experiences give you the necessary leadership, technical, and transferable skills you need to be a competitive applicant and also allow you to evaluate the field to make sure it is a good fit for you before you apply to a specific program.
Quick Tip: The University Career Center can assist you in finding experiential opportunities. Schedule an appointment online or by calling 785-864-3624.
Explore jobs & internships
Connect with alumni
Also, consider the following: